Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Attachments

I'm not a pack rat by any means. I'm not particularly sentimental, and will throw out little knick-knacks picked up from trips and events with absolutely no guilt. I'll even secretly throw out GMK's little McDonald toys now and then if they're particularly annoying, hoping that she won't miss them.

However, when it comes to things that I deem "having monetary value" or that are physically large in size, I have some trouble. For example, instead of getting rid of our old kitchen table (big enough for about two people) I'm reusing it to serve as our computer desk. It doesn't work esthetically nor does it work functionally. I even took pictures of it to put on Craig's list, but thought that maybe I'd "try it out" as our computer desk first. Same thing goes for our desk from our old study from when we lived in Pennsylvania. It's in our basement, taking up space, collecting dust and random stuff we throw on top.

There are mountains of things in our garage and basement that can be sold off, given away, or just thrown out. I can't seem to get my act together, though. There's always something else to do whether they be obligatory (kids) or by choice (tv.)

How do other people clean up and organize? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how get rid of larger items in a low hassle way? And, do most people get entirely new furniture when they move houses? I think that was our original issue... trying to keep everything and make it work in this house.

4 comments:

ekang said...

from a recovering pack rat, i'd suggest starting with the smaller stuff and selling it or giving it away. then move on to the bigger stuff. once you start making money off of your sales, it's incentive to do more. :)

jwk said...

entirely new furniture? i think you know our situation. until recently, we still had a tv and tv stand circa 1985 that SK used when he was in med school. of course, now we're trying to get rid of both those items. we might try to take them to Goodwill. I just donated two bags of clothes there today. very refreshing.

for larger pieces of furniture, i know Salvation Army will come pick up.

vivian said...

hm.. you should try to unload your stuff on college or grad students. you could even deliver it to their apartments if they don't have a car. that'll get you to get it out of the house!

or.. you could repaint wood furniture. it could be cool and gmk could use it!

yellowinter said...

i would just call salvation army for a pick-up, like jwk said. that's the quickest and most painless way to get it out of the house.
as for people buying entirely new furniture, that would not be us. we still have most of our old furniture, and our lone new purchase (plama tv) is mounted and its accessories are sitting on top of a sad, little foyer table. it's SOOOO hard to go furniture shopping with a toddler! :) so, all to say that you shouldn't feel bad.

Post a Comment