I just put up our holiday lights outside with the "help" of the girls. I wished I had a ladder, a team of 4 tall people, and an endless supply of lights. Instead, I had no ladder, a team of 2 extremely short people, and a limited supply of lights. That being said, our tree in the front of the house looks kind of sad with lights only going halfway up the branches. Even if we hadn't run out of light strings, I am too short to reach any further up. And the light ropes that are on our railings look pitiful - one of them has a row of non-working light bulbs.
The kids were so excited to put up the lights. The excitement ended quickly for #2, who kept losing her rain boot and ended up walking around with one bare foot, tripping and falling on the wet ground. #1's excitement kept going, but was less helpful than I thought she'd be as I realized that she can only climb the tree as high as I can reach. She also got distracted with a really fat earthworm. She kept touching it and shrieking with delight while running away. I was not so delighted between shrieking #1 and whining #2.
I was determined to get a fake tree this year. The girls are old enough to not play (too much) with the ornaments, and I figured a fake tree is not as bad of a fire hazard as a dried out real tree. So I ordered a small tree online and waited with anticipation for the first Christmas tree we've had since before the kids were born. The box got delivered, I sliced it open with my trusty box cutter, and lo-and-behold... I'd inadvertently ordered the cheesy one with fake snow. Argh. It was super cheesy. KCK took one look at it and said, "Ew."
This year's holiday decor is not going so well. There's always next year...
4 comments:
lol. you crack me up. i am a big fan of our fake tree. ours is really narrow looking, but it works for our small house. my holiday light project is always solo (not even Daddy helps). trust me, works much better! this year, i tried to use solar lights, which didn't turn out so well in cloudy, rainy Portland. like you said... there's always next year.
LOLz, oh dear! Big chuckle tonight whilst reading your entry. Man, just what KCK needed to encourage his anti-holiday decoration mindset...a cheesy tree. Oh man, I can't stop laughing!
So funny, Becky! The lights don't look sad. I was just thinking how you did a nice job of it bc it didn't cover the whole tree, it's a trend, take a look at comm ave. It's called the recession decor ;).
at least you MADE the effort to put up decorations! bravo! pics?
Post a Comment