Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Type A

Just recently, KCK remarked (and laughed while saying it) at how particular I am about certain things, but when it comes to other things - he happened to be talking about cleaning the refrigerator - I don't seem to care at all. I thought about it for a moment... do I really not care that the refrigerator is filthy? That there is old, brown, sticky, mystery juice on the glass shelf that won't just wipe up like in the Bounty commercials? Au contraire! I do care! I care so much that as soon as I see said "juice" I go through the mental calculations of the steps and effort that it will take to clean the shelf. [1. Remove all items from shelf 2. Make space on a different shelf for the removed items 3. Put removed items in the newly freed space 4. remove shelf from fridge 5. Bring shelf upstairs (this particular fridge is in our basement) 6. Put shelf on kitchen counter 7. Put dirty dishes in the dishwasher 6.5. Yes, need to back track - there are clean dishes in the dishwasher. Unload dishwasher and put clean items away 8. Wash shelf 9. Dry shelf 10. Bring shelf back down to the basement 11. Restock shelf as was 12. Decide that my fridge needs to be reorganized 13. Notice expired food products and throw out as necessary] And that's when I put it on my mental To-Do List, which may or may not get put on my actual To-Do list. Generally, things like this I forget about until I see it again and go through the mental checklist and repeat the cycle. It's a sad state to be in.

And I think I'm becoming increasingly "like this" with so many things. I fill my time up with things I can get done on the fly, or things that seem more pressing. And the major mundane projects - like organizing things, cleaning, and researching cars or bathroom fixtures - get put on the back burner indefinitely, or until they get put in the "urgent" section of my brain.
Is there a cure? Is it a SAHM-related ailment? Why can't I be more Type A? I used to be.... way back in grade school I used to put away my clothes diligently, rolling up my pants so that my drawers looked like they were part of a department store display - a strange one, but still.

4 comments:

Allie said...

It's called busy with children... that's what I tell myself! =)

yellowinter said...

I definitely can relate, but i have never been so type A with most things... Organizing is a big one... I have made an actual to-do list (pen and paper kind) since both kids started school. I did accomplish very minor things like reorganizing our silverware drawer and couple othe drawers that were becoming catch-alls. Then felt like I conquered the world! Drawers! :)

Liz said...

Life was simpler when we had less responsibilities. *sigh*
Is the new car going to be your new ride or KCK's? Hope it's for u!

Proonner said...

me too!! i totally used to be type a about everything...then julian moved in. he even comments on how messy i've become. i wish i had it more together but my general attitude these days is to look at the mess and leave it there until there's enough mess to warrant thorough cleaning/reorganization time!

Post a Comment