Thursday, February 17, 2005

Hand cramp

It's unbelievable how many different pieces of paper you have to sign when you buy a house. Anyway, a ream of paper signed, a big fat check written, and we're home owners (again!) One less thing for KCK to worry about. We're moving in about a month... in the meantime, I need to get a few contractors in to do some painting and flooring.

Yesterday we went to a 'Meet the Doctors' session at the hospital so we could meet all the doctors in the practice who might potentially deliver the baby. Someone asked a question about saving the baby's cord blood. It was interesting to see the reaction of the doctors. It seems the consensus is that there is no current benefit to saving your baby's cord blood to help the same baby in the future. The cord blood has to come from a non-sick baby donor to help anyone else. So, your best bet is a public cord blood bank (non-profit,) but there are only 2 out there. There's also no guarantee that the cord blood will be stored appropriately, and you're paying up the wazoo in administrative costs and yearly storage fees. The doctors seemed to think that it was somewhat of a money-making scheme on the part of these private cord blood banks. I was sent a 'New England Journal' article on it. I'll have to read it, but I think we're deciding against it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you guys. -AM

Post a Comment