I knitted a poncho for GMK. I was so proud of myself because it has buttons and everything, but then I tried to put it on her today and realized that it was a silly notion that anyone but me would be oooh-ing and aaaah-ing over it. First, I don't want it to get dirty, so I cover up most of it with a big 'ole bib. Secondly, I have to smoosh it all up to get her car seat or stroller straps around it, so you can't even tell what she's wearing. I should have figured in arm holes or something. Anyway, I guess I'll have to wait until she starts walking to really dress her in clothes that anyone's going to notice.
The whole diatribe above, however, begs the question... Why the heck do I care if people notice what my daughter is wearing? I guess the same reason I care (regardless of whether I admit it or not) if people notice what I'm wearing. It's the P-word.... pride. I just had a conversation about wanting nice things with my hubby. I was telling him that I just can't bring myself to purchase really trendy or expensive stuff that people will note as trendy or expensive- I said I'd be embarrassed. But I guess part of me really does want everything "In Style" magazine says is cool. Part of being a Christian is dying to yourself and your wordly desires. On the other hand, I also believe it's a poor witness of how God is working in your life if you go around in rags, completely oblivious to what the rest of the world is thinking. I guess it's about making the right choices. Lord, help me to live making kingdom-focused decisions each day.
Anyone want me to knit them something? The smaller, the better.... I have a short attention span.
No comments:
Post a Comment