Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Soccer Guys

I've been sucked into the World Cup frenzy. I don't know why I was never into it before.... maybe because I didn't really understand the rules of soccer, and never watched very much sports television. But all of a sudden, I'm watching alot of World Cup matches. I will say, though, that the commentators make a huge difference. I tried watching one of the matches in which the commentator had this elfish voice with an Irish accent to match- I couldn't do it.

After watching a few matches, I have come to the realization that soccer players are incredible athletes- it's amazing how they can keep that ball under control; and the amount of running they need to be able to do... I know I couldn't do it. I just watched the Sweden v. England match....

I'll tell ya, it wasn't tough for me to watch because alot of those guys are easy on the eyes. I remember my sister telling me that she was into "soccer guys" a long time ago. I didn't really get it, because all the guys I knew who played soccer were short. I guess it was just a coincidence that they were short. I had a thing for tall guys until I met hubs :P Anyway, I now see why she was "into them."

Before you all go and "tsk tsk" me, I just want to clarify. I'm not hoping or wishing that any one of these footballers would replace my equally remarkable KCK (don't worry hubs, you're much hotter than any of these guys.) And I'm certainly not undressing them with my eyes or lusting after them in any other fashion. I am just appreciating what the sport does for their physical appearance. Compared to other sports, the athletes come out of their locker rooms looking a tad better. Take American football, for instance. Sure, you have your Tom Brady's of the league... but you have to pick and choose. If you were to randomly scoop up a bunch of American football players, you'd have to sift through a whole lot of really large men. And those large (yeah, right, it's all muscle) men don't look so hot in those tight pants that are part of the uniform.

I am officially a soccer fan.

2 comments:

yellowinter said...

i was into "soccer guys" in high school. they were generally a lot leaner, cleaner, and definitely a lot smarter. ;p
i used to go to every soccer match of my brother's, but i haven't watched it in a while. i still like american football better, but i will get on the bandwagon for the world cup when our teams are playing. :)
sorry we missed you today. al fell asleep just 20 minutes after we got off the phone. and that after some pushing to stay up. :)

Beannie's Log said...

Funny, Dan was a soccer player too in HS, but that was a looong time ago!! :)

Post a Comment