Did you know that if you happen to see one flea, there may be more than 100 offspring or adults nearby? And a flea can jump 150 times their own length? They also go through lifecycle: egg, larvae, pupae, and adult. The pupae are resistant to insecticides because of their thick cocoon. They can also lay dormant for months and years.
Last night, we saw fleas in GMK's room for the first time. Uy. I made KCK vacuum her room and we washed everthing that had been laying on the ground or her chair. And then we pulled her crib out to the middle of her room so she wasn't near the baseboard heaters (where fleas are known to hang out and lay eggs.)
I am completely obsessed with our flea situation. It's not like their biting like crazy, but it's just upsetting seeing these tiny things crawling around, knowing that they're multiplying exponentially. We'll vacuum and spray a room, and the next day there's more! This morning I sprinkled salt all over our armchair and kitchen counter because i read that it dehydrates them and they die. But I checked on the counter this evening and found a few really large fleas (well, as large as a flea can get- 1/8 inch) just prancing around as happy as can be. They were probably mocking me. "Here comes the crazy lady with the salt! Let's go out there and dance!"
3 comments:
gosh, i can only imagine how this must be driving you mad. because of my allergic reaction to new detergent, i mistakenly thought that we had bed bugs. for a day or so, i was frantic. but it's pretty hectic and scary. esp with the little one. i really hope the exterminators will take care of the problem. i'll be praying, dear~
Yikes! So sorry to hear about the flea problem...hope that they don't bite your family. I had no idea that fleas multiply like that....learned something new today. Hope the exterminators can rid of them....I can see you with your bottle of salt while the fleas are laughing....that would make a good Pixar movie right there! (Sorry, couldn't help it)
oy! hope you got 'em all by now!
Post a Comment