Thursday, July 27, 2006

Doing it in Public

Here's an interesting article on nursing in public places. A popular baby magazine had a picture of a baby nursing on the cover and it has sparked outrage. I breastfed GMK for 13 months- and sometimes had to do it in a public place. If the child is hungry, she must be fed! I would, however, try to find an appropriate private place first. Public restrooms don't count as an appropriate place. Do you eat sitting on the toilet? I hope not, and if you do, please stop. When nursing in public, I also did try to cover up a bit. So unless you were actually staring and hoping for a peep show, you didn't see much. Honestly, I think people need to get over it and accept seeing a little breast here and there. I'd love to hear the opinion of others on this...

2 comments:

Beannie's Log said...

I just got this magazine issue the other day. Yeah, I'm mixed on this issue. I do think people definitely should find appropriate places and try to respect others who might be uncomfortable. One time at church, I saw one mother just blatantly lift her shirt and completely exposed her breast out in the open. I was even a little uncomfortable for her bcs I thought that was a little too much. But I am all for breastfeeding (just wish I could have done it better myself). Just think people should be respectful of others.

I agree with you about feeding on the toilet!! When I was pumping at work, one of the secretaries gave me attitude about using an office and she told me to go and use the toilet!! I was so mad at her and almost told her off! I would never sit on the toilet....first of all, it's uncomfortable and second, that's just too weird! I would never give milk to my baby knowing I pumped it while sitting on the toilet (unless I had no choice I guess).

jwk said...

I'm not a mother, but I think that people should just get used to seeing the "breast" as a mere conduit for baby nutrition rather than a sexual object. There's actually not much that's sexy about it. Rather it is a BEAUTIFUL thing to see a mother nursing her child. Why should an innocent baby go hungry because other people have irrationally puritanical senses of modesty?

You know how you often see those bumper stickers that say "Skateboarding is not a crime"? Mothers should have bumper stickers that say "Public breastfeeding is not a crime."

Post a Comment