Thursday, November 23, 2006

Stupid Dish

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Recently, we've been spending T-Day with KCK's extended family because we hate traveling during the worst weekend to travel. That means we drive north about 2 hours to KCK's cousin's house. We see them exactly once a year, and they're somewhat older so we don't have much to talk about. We eat the usual ridiculous amount of food, watch some football, and then GMK and I fall asleep in the car ride home. We don't say "grace" around the table, or go around talking about what we're thankful for.... (I'm not judging, by the way.) Everyone's busy bringing their contribution to the meal, watching their kids, or helping to clean up. Let's just say that reflecting on Thanksgiving isn't in the forefront of my mind.
On the way home, though, I suddenly remembered that we had left my platter dish back at KCK's cousin's house. It's one of my favorites... plain, but pretty, and perfectly sized. We had already been driving (in the pouring rain) for a while, so turning around would have been really stupid. I was angry, then sad, then angry again. My beloved dish! I'll probably have to wait a whole year before I see it again!
Then it hit me. I should just be thankful that I got to spend time with some family, that I was able to even make a dish to bring, that I have a full belly. What happened to being thankful, silly woman! Don't get me wrong, I'll still sorely miss my dish... but it's all in perspective now.

4 comments:

vivian said...

I know which dish you're talking about. Sorry dude. It's cool that it made you think about Thanksgiving.. I know I take pretty much everything for granted.. and so now as I'm typing my comment, you in turn are causing me think about Thanksgiving! Shoot. ;)

jwk said...

hm... i think all i thought about was the food i was going to eat! (i'm definitely developing a healthy pregnant-lady appetite.) but yes, thanks for the reminder... i am very thankful this year for many things this year!

Anonymous said...

happy (post-) thanksgiving! hope you get your dish back safely next year. : ) it's cool how something little all of a sudden reminds us of the blessings we have.

Jin C said...

I'm thankful for not having a favorite dish to worry about. hehe

Post a Comment