Sunday, June 24, 2007

More Than I Can Chew

My little girl is going to be in a wedding as a flower girl. In my excitement (yes, I'm much more excited than I should be) I started to scope out flower girl dresses online. I want the dress to atleast match the color of the bride's dress, which is ivory. I've discovered that it's impossible to get a ready-to-wear flower girl dress in ivory- they're all white! My options are to either order one from a bridal store, or to make one myself. Make one?! you ask? Yeah, I should have second guessed myself, too, before I went out and bought the pattern and all the material. Hubs bought me a sewing machine for Mother's Day (I asked for it. It's not like he just decided to get me a useful gift hoping I'd like it) and I've been gung-ho about trying it out on a "real" project. OK, well, I actually read the directions to the pattern a couple days ago... and then I had to go to B&N and find a Intro to Sewing book so I could decipher all the terminology. I'm going to go out and find a backup dress this week because I have definitely gotten myself into a pickle.

8 comments:

Beannie's Log said...

Wow, good luck with that! I'm sure it'll look beautiful. My extent of sewing is sewing on buttons and that's pretty much it. :)

jwk said...

really? i kinda would have thought making kids clothes would be easy. but maybe not a formal dress. i'm sure G will look super cute in whatever you make! GOOD LUCK!

Betty said...

Hi! Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat today. Try www.boutique4kids.com. They have a pretty good choice of ivory dresses. i was in the same spot as you for my sister's wedding 1 yr ago. Way to go on the sewing machine! If you figure out how to sew from a pattern, the world is your oyster. You're especially brave if you attempt a dress with a zipper. I haven't done that yet.

yellowinter said...

hey, rbk, why don't you ask skf (f^2) about sewing stuff? i bet she'll be able to help you out a bit. gosh, wish i could have learned this new craft from you. :)
take heart! you'll do great! please post the final product. as well as the model of course.

Allie said...

Wow!! Let me know who it goes. Barb's neice was in her wedding. We went to a bridal boutique and had to special order the dress in Ivory. When's the wedding? Videotape her going down the aisle, it'll be oh-so cute.

jl said...

did you try strasburg children? what about department stores? bridal stores? I can't imagine not finding an ivory dress... when you do make one, I want to see it! G is such a cute girl now... time really goes by fast!

jl said...

i mean she's not a baby anymore... ready for another?

Anonymous said...

My mom use to make dresses for me when I was a little girl... such a wonderful memory. You should definitely give it a try~ I'm sure it'll turn out beautifully.

Post a Comment