Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Applicious

One of my favorite things to do in the fall is go apple picking. My family used to go when we were young, and I cherish those memories. Back then, it was more about getting all the apples we could fit into our car. I remember stuffing these big plastic bags silly with apples because you just paid per bag instead of by pound. I vaguely recall stuffing jacket sleeves with apples, too, but that's probably not a story my mother wants me to tell. I think orchards have learned to make a bit more money by catering to families with young kids these days. Between the hayrides, playgrounds, and petting zoos, actually picking the fruit becomes secondary (not to mention that they charge a pretty penny for the fruit now.)

Yesterday, we had nothing better to do, so I told GMK that she's going to go pick apples. She was thrilled from the getgo by the stamp they put on her hand to ride the train into the orchard. Yes, train! She kept saying "beep beep" instead of "choo choo." But I think it's because she's really discerning and saw that it's not really a train, but a truck pulling a bunch of trolley carts. She enjoyed picking apples for all of 5 minutes and then she wanted to get back on the train. GMK had tons of fun that morning saying hello to the petting zoo animals, too. I had a blast just watching her have so much fun. Can't wait to go again!



4 comments:

jwk said...

so funny about the "beep beep"... can't fool our lil' GMK can we! i wish we could go with you! sounds like so much fun! G is looking more and more like you everyday. we're going to have to find a nice apple orchard out here in PDX.

Betty said...

Which orchard did you go to? Looks so fun.

yellowinter said...

uhhh, she is quite discerning indeed. :) can't wait for N to be old enough to enjoy these fun activities. but i know, i know. i gotta enjoy these moments too. :)
did you get any asian pears?

Beannie's Log said...

I have fond memories of apple picking too...but these days the price per pound is really expensive!

GMK is really smart...can't trick her!

Post a Comment