Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Big Girl Bed

We finally converted GMK's crib into a toddler bed. She'd been able to get her foot up to try to climb out for a while now. Thank God she was never actually able to get herself up and out.
GMk loves her "new" bed and says, "I like my big girl bed!" And she's been sleeping pretty well in it at night. Naptimes are another story- she just won't stay in her bed. I think I've tried everything from holding her hand and singing, to punishment if she comes out of her room. But the past couple days, she's been going to sleep crying and just out of sheer exhaustion. It's really taxing on me, because I'm basically fighting with her for an hour and a half. Today, I ended up putting her in the car and driving her around. And then when she was finally in her bed fast asleep, I think a lawn mower next door woke her up and all of a sudden she was in my room (where I was napping out of exhaustion.) She fell asleep again in my bed, but that's a habit I really don't want to nurture.
Any suggestions? I wonder if a rail would help or if she would just climb over it and get hurt.

7 comments:

Beannie's Log said...

Hmm, well N is still in his crib, so I unfortunately don't have any suggestions. I know for us when we do move him to his bed, we definitely need to buy the long railings because he moves around so much and will definitely fall off the bed at night. Your story just reaffirms why we don't want to move N to a bed yet as we're afraid he won't nap anymore either! :) May you should try the long railings and see if that works.

Betty said...

Hm. Say goodbye to KCK's and your sanctum sanctorum (your own bed). She'll be crawling in with you guys from now on. :( We'll chat on Sunday!

ekang said...

glad you posted on our site. i lost track of yours.

anyway, little e would get out of bed, too, and lie down on the floor where we have blankets laid out, but we didn't mind. she just naturally stayed in the crib and then came out as she started waking up in the morning. hopefully she'll keep it up. good luck to GMK and you with your sleep.

yellowinter said...

wow, a big girl bed! she is growing up! i can only imagine how difficult this stage can be... oi~ esther's suggestion sounds great. a little blankie on the floor. maybe it could be named a nap blankie or something. don't they have that in preschools?

you must share when you figure out what works.

jwk said...

wow, that's something i'm not looking forward to... i unfortunately have no suggestions. although that blankie on the floor thing does sound like a compromise.

vivian said...

i can only suggest what i IMAGINE might work.. setting up a little nap space in her closet where it might be fun to nap. you could put a little bottle of water in there and a night light. i totally did this when i was a kid. or under the dining room table. :P

Anonymous said...

When I babysat the Kang boys... 3 of them. The boys laid down their blankets on the living room floor and took their naps while I took a nap on the couch. She might feel better with you being nearby. Hope she'll sleep for you.

Post a Comment