Every summer, hubs and I debate over whether or not we need to get central air-conditioning. We just have baseboard heating so it would be a lot of work (read $$) to get the ducts in place. Every year I say that it's not worth it because we can get by for 3 months with our window units. And of course, hubs thinks we need central air because he's the one having to install those window units.... and the room with the TV doesn't have a good window for an air conditioner. And every year, he's the first one to get cranky because it's too hot and our window units aren't cutting it.
This year, I've seen the light. I think it's because I now have 2 kids clinging to me all the time. It's just not fun to nurse a baby when she's all slippery from sweat. I actually started to think about how nice it would be to have central air a month ago when we had a mildly warm day. When hubs brought it up again last week, I didn't make my usual arguments to save money and told him we should go ahead and atleast get a quote for the work. Hubs hasn't gotten around to installing all the window units yet, and it's been 90-plus degrees this past weekend. As a result, I am one cranky momma. In short, we are soooooooooo getting central air. I cannot wait. It'll probably be another month before it's all done. In the meanwhile, we'll just pray for cooler weather.
9 comments:
yay for central air! i know it's important to be greener, cutting energy usage, leaving a smaller carbon footprint, etc. but when it's hot, there's nothing like blasting the air and sitting a nice cool house.
I love central air! I didn't realize how much I loved it until this past weekend with the 90+ degree weather...being pregnant the whole last trimester in the summer is going to be miserable.
Stay cool and head out to the mall often! I know hubby is going to do that with Nathan when it's too humid!
i do hope that central air will be coming soon. these past few days have been horrible. is the basement cool enough to hang out in? :( i'll pray with you for cooler weather. the units at our apt are either freezing cold or sweltering hot. no in between. i'm looking forward to moving into c/a condo soon.
btw, you shouldn't be worried about the pooch just yet, mama. it's only been like 2 or 3 months! :)
I vote for central air regardless of the cost. Even though I don't like to turn on the AC for an extended period of time(due to cost), I am forced to so that Chubby (our dog) can comfortablely stay home during these hot summer days. The last thing I want is Chubby to get sick from the heat! I'm thinking about buying a kiddie blowup pool and putting it in our kitchen for chubby to sit in... is that weird? haha
WHAT!?!?!?!? You so need to get central air!! I hope you have the window units in now. It's been so hot here in Philly... I don't know what I would do without central air.
Central air is a great investment and I think it'll be well worth it but of course it's easy for me to say b/c I don't have to pay for it. ;)
A/C rocks. NStar actually mass phoned all its customers today and told us to pull our blinds down and set the thermostat 1 or 2 deg higher. I said screw that! And I gave in and bought this massive kiddie pool today and the 3 of us were LOVING it this afternoon. By massive, I mean 7 ft diameter and 2.5 ft deep. Btw, thanks so much for hosting us on Sunday afternoon! We had lots of fun!
hey becky, did you and kck consider split type air-conditioning (sometimes called ductless air-conditioning)? it's sop in asia- you can install one large outdoor unit and 3 or 4 indoor units for 3-4 different zones of the house. the contractor would install it into the wall right behind the drywall pretty non-invasively. i would definitely consider it...
dan (a former a/c expert)
nice... i was cursing everyday that i didn't have central air in boston. people here think it's b/c boston is "cooler". ppppshaaaa! anyway, congrats. seriously. and if you can do different thermostats for upstairs and downstairs. i wish our place that that...
yeah, get the central ac. even with ac, our upstairs is so hot...i remember how hot it was feeding even in the winter yet along summer!
Post a Comment