I just came back from voting. For whatever reason since having kids, I'm a little prouder to perform this civic duty. I guess I'm just more aware of the impact my vote may have on future generations, namely, my own kids.
I'm also thrilled that election day has finally come. I'm looking forward to less political news and gripes about the current administration. I'm looking forward to having my hubby back from being a political zombie... completely immersed in the day to day (sometimes minute to minute) happenings of the political arena, constantly watching political television and reading political websites. He's been a little P/O'd all the time.
I have to admit, though, that never have I been more in tune with the issues of the election than now. A few things I've realized over the past few weeks:
1.) It's really important to know who your local and state representatives are and keep them accountable. Your local officials make decisions that can effect daily life. Also, it's the guys in Congress that actually put together and vote on laws before they get to the President's desk.
2.) There are many politicians that don't have anything interesting to say. They just like to hear themselves spew hot air. (I guess I knew this before, but it was reinforced during this campaign.)
3.) People are overly influenced by the half-truths they hear and see on TV.
4.) Many people (yes, even rational, well-educated people) do not see the real issues and listen to what a candidate is saying, but only have gut reactions to the candidates based on prejudice.
5.) The media is really biased. There is little you can say to convince me otherwise.
Anyway, if you haven't already, go vote for your candidates and answer all those add-on questions at the end!
3 comments:
You are right in all counts! You are so right about the media. I watch so much celebrity stuff that I think I may have a distorted outlook on everything but... I just hope that no one thinks any less of me. :( I'm on my way to vote... I just posted something about what Emma learned at school. So funny...
yes, all right the media is biased. you know how i feel about such rants though... anyway, i voted last week (mail-in ballots in OR) and felt very good about it. i think everyone should go to mail-in ballots because you actually get a chance to sit down and do research on local officials and propositions. but i do miss the experience of going to the polling place and pulling that lever to close to curtains. a trade-off i suppose...
i agree that i have been a lot more excited about this election, and it does make me think differently about things because it will affect my kid. :)
it has been quite an educational process, not to mention growing. :)
Post a Comment