[key music] "back to reality.." I don't remember who sang that song. Anyone?
We just got in from our little trip last night. As soon as I we got back to Philly to get AJK, I felt the weight of reality sink in. It could have been the oppressive humidity, too. But I did feel relatively carefree while in Vail. Having just one kid to look after made such a difference. GMK did have her moments, however.
For instance, the hike I naively signed up for, was one long, drawn out "moment." Total, the hike was only 2 miles and it was relatively flat. But about 2 minutes into the hike, GMK stumbled and got a bloody knee. It was a lost cause after that and I had to carry her for most of the way. This was in addition to the backpack I was already carrying. I should have known better, because a couple days prior to that we did a half-mile nature walk in which KCK had her on his shoulders most of the time. We need to have her practice walking in the great outdoors some more.
Oh, and I almost forgot about ice skating. There's an indoor rink that still has public skating times through the summer. She was better than last year, which was good, because I didn't have to hold her up the entire time. But then she saw an older girl practicing her figure skating. This girl was gliding along effortlessly, doing all sorts of spins and tricks in a cute green skating dress. From that point on, GMK said she wanted to skate like the "lady in the green dress" but she didn't get why her body didn't comply with her wishes. No amount of explaining to her about the merits of starting out small and practicing could get her to stop whining, and eventually crying about wanting to skate like this girl.
She did had a great time, overall, and there were plenty of other activities she loves to do that kept her occupied and behaving rather well. Towards the end of our trip she stated wistfully, "I love Vail." I think it had something to do with the ice cream cone she was holding at the time. But she echoed my sentiments exactly.
5 comments:
with an ice cream cone in hand, GMK would probably say, "i love death valley in summertime". ice cream makes everything awesome. i can't imagine what it must be like to have a kid on vacation and feel carefree (even if only a little). someday... ice skating. must try that with ESK.
haha.. oh, gmk..
and i'm now reading and laughing at june's death valley comment.
i'm glad that you had a relaxed time.. you deserved it!
you make me wanna visit vail. :) 2 miles with a kid in front and a backpack on your back, ugh!
i'm sure GMK loved being the only child for a bit. :) *sigh* i'm getting worried about october... :)
soul2soul?
the skating story...pretty funny. kids have this strange notion that they can just do whatever the grown-ups are doing, only to realize that it's not quite as easy as it looks. sounds like the trip was a lot of fun!
Post a Comment