Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I went on a girl's getaway trip over Labor Day weekend. We decided on Newport, because it's pretty, lots of things to do, and there's golf nearby. Well, it turns out we didn't do much but golf. We tried a few different restaurants which is always fun... especially without kids. In the evenings, we'd just watch a movie on the DVD player I brought with me. It was nice and relaxing.

I've come to a realization about my golf game, however. It didn't really solidify until this morning after a 9-hole round, but it dawned on me that I don't have fun playing unless I play well. It seems as though other people can just take in the outdoors, and swing away blissfully, chatting up a storm at the same time. Me, on the other hand... I'm focused. If I initiate conversation on the golf course, it's usually about golf. It's the one good shot during your round that makes you want to come back. Maybe that's my problem, that I've been playing so horribly. Maybe I need to take a break. I'm glad it's rainy this weekend so i won't be itching to play.

5 comments:

Annibelle said...

Maybe that's why they liken golf to life? The struggles, the highs and lows, the successes and failures, the glee and the discontent. Whoever "they" are...

jwk said...

i was wondering how that weekend went... i think your intensity on the golf course comes from your overachiever/perfectionist engineer personality.

yellowinter said...

:) i'm smiling at jwk's comment. i'll be sure to stay away from you when i decide to pick up golf. ;p j/k. hopefully, some time off will help you get better perspective about the game and that you can really "enjoy" without the self-imposed pressures. although, it sounds kinda nice to have something to feel that passionate about. :) maybe next career move ought to be PGA?

ekang said...

how fun! glad that you were able to get away! as for golf...i think many folks are like you. :)

Betty said...

LOL! I happen to like your focus on the course! Keeps me on track :D I hope I haven't been distracting you. Hey, as long as you don't take out any lingering bad moods on your kids or husband, it's all good!

And maybe I'll get to the place where I'll only focus on my play. Can we squeeze in 1 more 9-hole before it gets COLD? Mon, Tues, Fri mornings!

Post a Comment