Yesterday we had a play date with one of GMK's classmates. They came over and the kids ran around in the backyard under the sprinkler. It was a classically gorgeous day and the moms decided to kick back and lounge on the deck to get some sun. GMK came up to get toweled off and hang out for a bit. Then I see her pause as she's walking by her friend's mother. She says, "How come your toes are so fat?"
I swear I wished I could rewind and delete... and had some duct tape so she couldn't say anything else. Luckily, the friend's mother has a sense of humor and just laughed it off, but who knows what she was really thinking inside? I felt horrible!
And I found out today, while over a neighbor's house, she walked into the bathroom and said, "How come your bathroom's so small?" I know that she's just asking questions motivated by true curiosity, but when do kids start learning about how some things are just impolite to ask? Or say or act upon, for that matter.
Last example. She's at that age where she thinks talking about butts is soooooo funny. Anything related to people's bottoms, like farting and poop, is hysterical. When she's with her friends, there is always endless giggling over nonsensical phrases like, "butt fart kick!" Tonight, she started singing a song while taking a bath. I can't even write out the lyrics because they can be interpreted so inappropriately, it would be a complete embarrassment to the future GMK. It had to do with pretty bums and it was completely made up by my precious 5 yr old. I had to give a little talk about how I thought she was very creative but talking and singing about bums in front of others was not appropriate.
7 comments:
It must be that age bcs Nathan is doing the same thing. Anything related to farts ("bang goo"), poops, etc is insanely hysterical to him. I thought it was a "boy" thing, but I guess it's good to know girls do this too?!!
I know what you mean about wishing to duct tape their mouth...the other day, we had dinner @ someone's house and he wasn't too crazy about one of their rice dishes. He flat out sd, "Mommy, this doesn't taste good. I don't like it!" And he sd it right in front of the host...I was so embarassed! Luckily, she has a young toddler herself who's a picky eater. But still mortifying!
lol... at least she didn't ask an oveweight woman if she was having a baby... ESK would have been right there with GMK cracking up. i don't think they grow out of this poopy joke thing for awhile if i remember correctly. sigh. on the other hand, you know a sure-fire way of getting GMK to laugh -- make up a butt/poopy song of your own!
i guess you'll have to never sing "i like big butts" song. hehe. so funny. but i am not looking forward to that stage of filter-less honesty. hope it passes soon.
haha..i liked yellowinter's reference to sir mixalot...gmk would looove that song! not that i'm advocating this at all, but i guess the whole 'speak when you're spoken to' came from somewhere - kids love of poop-talk hasn't changed i guess!!
this is so hilarious! i could just imagine that feeling when G commented about the toes! haha!
she'll have to sing that "special" song sometime for us. :)
hahaha so funny!
LOL!!! we'll have to remember to refrain from the bum comments.
Post a Comment