In the past, when I would meet someone who was training for "such-and-such race," there was part of me that wanted to ask, "But, really... why?" The thought of running in front of a crowd of people and having them watch you huffing and puffing across the finish line was a little ridiculous to me.
A couple months, ago, however, I got suckered into signing up for a half marathon that is to take place over Labor Day weekend. (Aside: I've actually always wanted to run in a half marathon, but never had the guts to do it. I wasn't really "suckered" per say, but maybe half-hearted about agreeing to it.) So I've been trying to increase my running mileage and decided that I should run in at least one race before the big one. So this past Sunday, I ran in a five-miler through the city.
I totally get it now. There really is a rush in crossing the finish line, no matter how slow you ran! And I don't know if they do this is all races, but they actually announced your name as you crossed. I was like, "Hey, that's me!" It was also neat to see my kids watching me run. I go to the gym and send them off to the childcare room where they know that I'm doing some abstract thing called exercise. But I realized that they never actually see me running.
I was worried, going into the race, that I'd be turned off to running with a crowd of people. There were definitely points in which I wanted to push someone out of my way. But for the most part, I appreciated running along side other people without feeling any obligation to talk to them! Throughout the course, there were kids giving high-fives and people clapping and cheering everyone on. It really was encouraging! I just hope those kids had some hand-sanitizer after slapping everyone's sweaty hands. After the race, there was water and snacks galore and a general party atmosphere. It was definitely a positive experience.
I'm already signed up for my next race.
6 comments:
yay RBK! wish i was there to cheer you on. you are an inspiration.
But really?...Why? hahaha!
Seriously, that's great!!! I don't have any desire to run with other people around me (I've seen too much diarrhea and pee running down legs of racers at the finish line), but I'll happy to cheer for you!
Next thing for you is a triathlon, and then the Boston Marathon.
that's totally awesome! i know that feeling, too! once my work madness is done, i hope to try and get back to running again.
Glad it went well! I ran a 5k a yr or two ago and felt a rush. It def feels good to cross the finish line...not so great when the gun goes off and almost everyone is passing by. Hope you run some more!
wow! that's wonderful, RBK! and you are too funny and motherly worrying about those kids' hygiene. :)
and betty, really? that's pretty gross. i guess i've never stood at the finish line to behold the horrendous sight. sounds traumatic.
Wow, I'm impressed! So fun for you. What a rush.
Post a Comment