Monday, March 28, 2011

I've Never....

You know when people make a general blanket statement and then immediately say, "Knock on wood!"? Not that I believe in luck... but there's definitely something to be said for that practice.

All throughout my late teens and early twenties, I never got sick. I never got anything more than a little sniffle for about 12 hours. I was a very healthy human being. Either that, or I was impeccably sanitary. I used to brag to my coworkers. They'd say, "Stay away, I have a cold."
And I'd immediately say, "Don't worry, I never get sick."
All this changed when I got pregnant with my first child. Within the first trimester, I caught the flu and took my first sick day for legitimate health reasons. It was downhill from there. Since then, I've caught too many full-fledged colds to count.

Recently, I said to someone describing a bad stomach bug, "I've never gotten sick like that." And it's true. I've never gotten, what they call, the stomach flu. I've gotten mild food poisoning - a once and done thing, but never a virus that made me sick to my stomach. In fact, even my children never get sick like that. When worn-down moms recount their tales of "throw up duty" I can never relate. My kids, like their mother, were "throw up proof" when it came to viruses.

This past Friday, however, I was initiated into the "I've-got-stories-to-tell" club. #1, who is all better now, had a stomach bug. SO. NOT. FUN.
I worry that my "luck" has run out in that department. I should have knocked on wood.

3 comments:

jwk said...

blech.... i think we are lucky in that our family members seem to have strong stomachs. not so the case with my hubs. and ESK has definitely had her share of stomach bugs, although nothing as bad as GMKs it sounds like. maybe my #2 will inherit our genes.... knock on wood.

yellowinter said...

oh no. yeah, stomach bugs are nasty. i'm remembering my stories, as i type. shivers... hope GMK is all better, and everyone escaped it unscathed. knocking on wood for you...

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment