Friday, January 14, 2005

Characters

A pretty uneventful week. I wandered the city yesterday looking for a couple furniture stores... I really have very little sense of direction. I picked up some Pottery Barn catalogues to get color ideas for the walls- but everything was pretty much the same colors (light blue, beige, light yellow.) I've also been busy trying to figure out how much things are going to cost in terms of re-flooring and painting. I fear being cheated by unscrupulous contractors.

KCK was in NYC for a day-long conference. It's embarrassing how well I sleep when he's not in the bed. So 2 nights ago, I slept like a baby. And then last night, I woke up to his arm smacking my face (he was doing the "left-arm thing" he does. ask me about it if you're unfamiliar with it.)

We just had dinner out tonight at a good restaurant... kind of pricy, but the food was yummy. I think my only complaint was that I was sooooo full and didn't have room for dessert. But then we walked around a bit and felt better so we stopped in a different restaurant for dessert at the bar.....
where we met some interesting characters. For anyone that knows KCK, you will know that he starts talking to anyone within 5 feet of him in any given circumstance. Tonight was no exception, and I realized that it maybe a common trait among people that eat at the bar in restaurants- not that KCK does that very often- maybe he does while on business trips and I don't know it. Anyway, we initially met a guy (we'll call Bob) we pinned as gay from first glance... he didn't even have to say a word- we just knew he was gay. Turns out Bob grew up in Texas, lived in San Francisco for a while, has 2 kids (then he corrected himself and said "had 2 kids,") and now has a baby? We're thinking he came out of the closet, separated from his past family, and adopted.
Next we met (sitting on the other side of the Bob) this conservative professor-type with a slight accent. I thought it sounded German, but he said it was Scottish- yet he was born and raised in the States. He had a fascination with Laura Bush and thought that Ross Perot Jr.'s wife was hot. He wouldn't stop talking about Mrs. Perot Jr and how beautiful she was! The only other subject he was as passionate about was Scotland's unparalleled educational institutions. He happened to have gotten a degree at one of those great schools.
Finally, the most intriguing one, was from North Dakota. She immediately jumped in on our conversation when she heard the name "George W." I think she was a librarian and she talked about how she got published in the paper for writing about how the Patriot Act was bad. She really prided herself for being liberal... she's currently writing an article on gay marriage, but after talking to her about the subject, I'm not sure where she's headed with the article. By the way, she's a self-declared agnostic but didn't exactly know what agnostic meant. And she sings in the church choir. Hm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment