Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hum Drum

Apart from my daily interaction with GMK and KCK, I often go through days at a time without interacting with anyone I might remotely call a "friend." So far the people I converse with most consistently are the ladies at the dry cleaners. I'm not exactly one to be reliant on friends to feel satisfied in any way because I have my two dear sisters. They have been and always will be my best friends... two people with whom I can just let it all hang out. But it's a little different living further away, and I guess because of that fact, I see how much I did enjoy the company of girlfriends. When KCK went away on trips, I used to invite some ladies over to just hang out and talk over drinks and dessert. It was so much fun! Now it's just me and baby. We hang out and "talk" over milk and cheerios.
I'm actually somewhat thankful for this period in my life. I know God is stretching me and I should use this opportunity to step outside of myself and get to know people outside of my normal spheres of influence. But it's so hard!!!! And is it OK to make a project out of making friends? Shouldn't it come somewhat naturally?

On a brighter note (literally,) the weather has been fantastic here for the past couple days. We are enjoying it immensely! I think even GMK is in a better mood... except for today when she screamed and whined until I let her hold my Fresca bottle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you hurry up and come over w/ your darling little one? ;)

yellowinter said...

let's go visit ssk and little L together!

i've asked that same question for over a year when we moved up to boston. then, i realized that, just as you said, it takes effort to meet people. and then become friends... it feels so artificial to have to "work" at it, but there will come a time in some of those relationships that it will no longer feel like work. but to get there, "it's got to start somewhere." that's what my hubby had said to me a while back.

yeah, it's got to start somewhere... but i do hope that along the way, you'll be blessed to find people with whom it feels effortless.

Post a Comment