Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Little Peanut


It turns out my little peanut is allergic to exactly that... peanuts. They say it's a "moderate" allergy, but I'm not sure what that really means. Last week, she had a little peanut butter on her morning waffle (not the first time she had it) and started breaking out in hives around her eyes. We gave her some Benedryl and she was fine. I didn't think much of it until I was telling my mother (ex-nurse) about it and she's asking me a zillion questions about the incident. I thought, "maybe I should call the doctor just in case?" So we go in and get some bloodwork done (the poor girl was a champ!) and sure enough, she's got a peanut allergy. We're going in to the doctor's office tomorrow so they can show me how to use an epi-pen. God forbid I ever have to use it! We're also getting a referral to an allergist. Uy- I sincerely hope she grows out of this allergy. No PBJ sandwiches, no Reese's cups, no apples smeared with peanutbutter, no peanuts at the ballpark!
--------------

On a sunnier note, I just discovered my town's community pool. It's literally down the street from my house, but I never went because it always looked so crowded and I wasn't sure how clean it would be since it's a "town pool." I decided to check it out yesterday because there weren't as many cars there, and lo' and behold it's actually pretty nice, and there's a baby pool! It's 18" in the deepest part, so it's perfect for GMK (the water goes up to her chest in the "deep end)" She loved watching all the other older kids splash about; she goes up to some of them, waves 'hi,' and tries to touch them- at which point the older kid gets a little weirded out and goes splashing away. GMK loves the water, too. She got a little overzealous a couple times and tried to run throught the water like the big kids, and ended up doing faceplants. I had to rush over and rescue her. There's an inlet valve that has water gushing out of it- she loves sitting next to it to feel the water coming out. It's like her own personal jacuzzi. I also saw some moms in the neighborhood there, so it was a good opportunity for me to socialize a bit. We went again today. There's only a week left in the season, but next summer I'll definitely get a season pass to the pool.

6 comments:

jwk said...

oh no! or what about bananas smeared with peanuts! what about peanut m&ms! i hope she grows out of this allergy too.

i love hearing stories about GMK's adventures. make sure she doesn't breathe in any water!

Beannie's Log said...

Ugh, that must've been scary seeing the hives. Dan's cousin's daughter had the same reaction to egg whites so now she can't eat anything that has egg whites in it. Hopefully she'll grow out of the allergy....peanuts are yummy!

That's cool you have a pool closeby like that. N now loves the water too. :)

Jin C said...

It may pass. Phoebe was allergic to carrots before but we're starting to reintroduce them to her. Chloe is allergic to shrimp and strawberries.

Anonymous said...

poor thing, but knowing G she's such a trooper. glad you found a pool nearby! wahoo!

jl said...

alot of kids have peanut allergy nowadays. many schools have peanut-free lunch tables too. i know someone who grew out of peanut allergy. hopefully she'll grow out of it.

yellowinter said...

that's pretty scary. there can be so many things with hidden peanut stuff. i will pray with you that she will grow out of it soon.

Post a Comment