Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Po' Fokes

We're currently looking into remodeling our kitchen. Talk about headache. I borrowed this book from the library called 'Take Charge of Your Home Renovation.' It's got me all paranoid about being ripped off. I'm doing my due diligence in trying to find good contractors and trying to get a good deal, but it's like a full time job.

Just today I spoke with two different people who basically told me that our budget was too small. The first said that the smallest job that they've ever worked on was double our budget. ha ha! And the 2nd said that if I wanted to use them, I'd have to act as my own general contractor because their sub-contractors were "the best out there" (translation- most expensive.)

I was telling hubs today that talking to all these people makes me feel really poor. I know we're not poor, but it's crazy how this world can make you feel that way. I have to keep telling myself that all these pretty, shiny things I see and desire are rubbish in God's eyes. It's hard to keep perspective. At the same time, we need to act responsibly towards what God has blessed us with... including our house.
Anyway, my search for cabinets and a GC continues.

3 comments:

Beannie's Log said...

I know what you mean. It's hard when you watch those HG TV decorating shows and those people have like $20k+ "budgets" for their beautiful rooms. I stopped watching them bcs it makes me jealous and envious that these people have money to throw around and can afford nice things. But you're right....material things are nothing in God's eyes. As Uncle Ben said in Spiderman...."with great power comes great responsibility".

yellowinter said...

yes, perspective. just remember po' fokes with no house here. ;)

jwk said...

ditto to yellowinter's comment above. sounds like some of these some of these contractors are kinda snotty. hmph.

Post a Comment