I've been trying to get into yoga because all I hear is how good it is for you and alot of people I know are really hooked. I took a class a few years ago at my gym, and I hated it. It ended up being everything I feared... instructor not being very helpful and talking about 'releasing your mind and body' and other nonsense. But I've been so stiff and sore lately, that I decided to give it another try. I took a class at my gym, and it was pretty good, but I still felt like I wasn't getting good instruction. Just to say I gave it a good try, I decided to take another class at my gym.... it was horrible. I felt like it was a long waste of time. There's a yoga studio in town, however, which offers a heated studio. I thought I'd give it a try this weekend.
I was such a sweaty pig! When they say "heated," they really mean it. It was supposed to be a beginner class, but they could have fooled me! I hadn't sweat like that for a really long time. It was the kind of sweat that beads up on your skin and just drips and drips. Pretty picture, huh? I got a lot out of it because the instructor was good at giving precise directions. And I liked that she only played the mystical music during the beginning and very end of the class. And we only "ohm-ed" twice! I bought a beginner package of 3, so I'm going to try it atleast 2 more times. However, I'm even more sore and stiff today... what's the deal?
8 comments:
Wow, you don't usually sweat when you work out. I am so embarassed b/c I sweat so easily.
One time I was training with my PT and I was doing a set push ups at the end of my session and I was dripping sweat. Then she goes, " Wow, you sweat a lot." I was so embarassed.
I really do hear great things about yoga. I think you should stick with it... at the yoga studio.
i tried yoga once at a YMCA when i was at my co-op job, but was totally weirded out when i was the only student in class and it was just the teacher. would like to try it again some day.
but about the heated yoga thing... i heard you could be prone to more injuries b/c you don't realize you're straining your body as much b/c the heat relaxes your muscles.
i do want to try yoga at some point. the thing i wondered about those heated yoga studios was... how often do they clean it, and what method do they use? i know. silly question. i'm glad that it was a different experience for you. as for being sore and stiff, i'd imagine that would get better as you do it. yoga does make you use muscles that you're not generally used to using. i wouldn't worry about it unless it persists.
you are an inspiration, shbocky~
yay to yoga! double yay to hot yoga. after yoga classes, i always feel at least an inch taller and very limber. sometimes, there's nothing like a good sweat. make sure you drink lots of liquids before you go though. did i ever tell you that my yoga instructor in NY was the actress who played Diana Barry (a.k.a. Anne's bosom friend) in "Anne of Green Gables"? she always knew how to tweak my body "just so" that i getting the most out of the pose and really working my muscles.
i've updated my blog with lots o' pictures. check it out.
HEHEH.. I loooove yoga. But I am going to keep away from those heated rooms. All I seem to think about is how I'm breathing in other people's sweat molecules..
My tan from Hawaii, baby!! :)
my friends always rave about that sweaty yoga stuff. and claim that it's the best exercise they've ever had. well... for me, i'd honestly go bonkers in a heated room. i'm good with pilates and running... but also, yoga scares me with how it was conceived and came to be.
I always hear good things about yoga, but everytime I see anything, it looks like meditation sessions. Hmmm, heated yoga?!! That's great that you're trying new things and that you're able to do that.
Post a Comment