Wednesday, November 15, 2006

When I Grow Up...

Have you seen these recent game shows with the models and dancers revealing their hidden $$ amounts while strutting around in skimpy outfits? It's like the entertainment industry has come full circle and they're telling us it's OK to treat women as merely objects of beauty (or lust) again. Or maybe we're telling them it's OK.

KCK and I were watching Show Me the Money last night- the one with all the ridiculous dancing on it- and KCK said, "What if GMK said that she wanted to be one of those dancers when she grows up?" He was half-joking, but in all seriousness, it could happen. I mean, didn't all little girls want to look like Barbie? Or even one of "Bob's girls" on the Price is Right? Many of us didn't quite grow up with the healthiest of body images. I am hereby banning Deal or No Deal and Show Me the Money... and any other game show like it... from my house.

On another note.... has anyone been watching Dancing with the Stars? KCK has been into it because of Emmitt Smith. Last night, he got irritated when I was switching back and forth between that and Gilmore Girls. Granted, he thinks the latter is a horrible show... but in the past, he didn't mind that much. But with Dancing on, it's like, "hurry up and switch it back!" He didn't want to miss his beloved ex-Cowboy doing the rumba.

6 comments:

Beannie's Log said...

Yes, I agree with you. Seeing those unrealistic bodies is not healthy for girl's self image.

Hey, you watch Gilmore Girls too?!! I started watching it too because Dan convinced me to watch it...he's a huge fan! So are you a Luke & Lorelai or Chris & Lorelai fan? I missed the first couple of seasons and when I started watching it, Luke was such a jerk to Lorelai...that's why I'm a C & L fan....Dan gets mad at me when I cheer them on bcs he's a huge L & L fan. :)

Allie said...

I'm a Luke and Lorelai fan. Chris was such the loser, the first couple of season. Deadbeat dad... Never around when Rory was growing up... I'm so annoyed that Lorelai is with Chris. I am also annoyed that Luke didn't fight very hard for lorelai maybe when he hears they're going to get married, it'll wake him up. Still have to watch last nights episode... Love TIVO. lol

Yes, horrible body image traps on tv these days. good idea to ban them.

I stopped watching Dancing with the Stars b/c I watch way too many shows. I hope Emmitt wins, though. I find it hilarious that KCK wants to watch the show so bad... sure, he watches it only because of Emmitt ;) (Sarcastically) LOL Next I'll hear he'll want to learn ball room dancing. Just to be like Emmitt... HE HE HE HE

Jin C said...

Just tell your hubby that you wouldn't see an Eagle on "Dancing with the Stars"!

jwk said...

i haven't seen "Show Me the Money" yet, but from the looks of the website, it sounds idiotic. trivia/variety show?

i used to watch Gilmore Girls whenever i happened to catch it on TV (i'm not disciplined enough to be a regular show watcher -- need TiVo!). but i hear there are new writers this season and the show's tone has changed -- less snappy, more sappy?

anyway, SK was like that with Project Runway. he'd practically be jumping up and down if he thought i was lingering too long on another show while PR was on commercial break... wasn't KCK like this with the figure skating too?

vivian said...

I did see deal or no deal. not only were the girls embarrassing to watch, the host as well as the show's premise were ridiculously cheesy and equally unbearable. and those poor poor people who are biting their nails and looking around the room trying to decide whether or not to gamble money that they just as easily obtained only moments ago. BLARG.

but i do think that body image is a major issue. i think the key though is promoting a healthy body image.. not just noting that one is necessarily bad. that's just negative attention. but then again, i'm not a mom!! so whatever you decide, i got your back, man.

yellowinter said...

yes, that's why dove rocks! :) i'm also glad that there's been a small beginning of movement among the fashion industry to ask for "heavier" models. maybe things will start to turn. consumers will have to change first, i guess.

as for kck, he's hilarious. we would totally watch that show too, if it weren't on our small group night. couldn't believe emitt won! he was pretty darn good though. not like jerry rice who basically rode on his popularity and sheer will, emitt could actually move those hips! ;) that would make cheryl the golden girl for winning two years in a row. :)
well, i bet kck has secret fantasies about dancing the rumba or paso doble(sp?). ;p

Post a Comment