Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Preparation

We have 3 weeks left until my due date. People keep asking me if we're ready.... oh boy am I ready! I'm ready to be thirty pounds lighter, ready to start sleeping on my back again, ready to meet this baby who's been doing a number on my ribs and bladder. BUT... Do we have the baby room all set up? nope. Do we have her clothes all laundered and ready to be pooped in? nope. Do I have a bag packed for the hospital? nope. Essentially, we're not really ready.

This past weekend, however, we did go to Babies R Us to pick up some Newborn-sized diapers and look at a stroller. We ended up buying a bunch of other things, too (not the stroller.) But most of all, I think seeing all the baby stuff gave us a dose of reality... that we're having another child, and we need to figure out logistics. After our little shopping excursion, KCK intalled the infant car seat into the car- a small miracle, considering he was trying to figure it out in the hospital parking lot after GMK was born. He also called his brother to make sure we have someone to come over and hang out with GMK when we go to the hospital. That was a big item on our checklist.

GMK was surprisingly receptive to the "new" seat in the car and having to move over from the middle seat. She pointed to the infant car seat and proudly said, "That's baby's seat." She's also been talking about the imminent arrival of her baby sister to other people- without even being asked about it. So it seems as though she's looking forward to her kid sister coming to share her space, but I guess time will tell how she really handles it. We have high hopes.

7 comments:

yellowinter said...

GMK is soooooo sweet~ she'll be a wonderful un-ni. can't wait to meet her and also to find out her name~ ;)

Beannie's Log said...

Ugh, the logistics of getting ready for delivery and for new baby! But it sounds like you're ready to go. Even though it's the 2nd time and we "know what to do and expect", doesn't it seem more work than the first time around?!

jl said...

I forgot everything about caring for an infant when I had G. You just have to go with the flow. One thing I wish I had known... how to handle A's jealousy. She's loves G and it's fine now. What a tough beginning.

Congratulations, soon to be mom of two!!!!

Annibelle said...

Aw, I can just imagine June saying the same thing to your parents (and you of Liz?)

Gah! Where'd the time go?!?! (Probably out with normal winter weather I bet... *sigh*)

jwk said...

GMK is so cute! i just want to kiss her when i hear stories like this. i think she'll be a good big sister!

Betty said...

I know you and K will handle G's transition to another baby really great. Our experience with G & J: G was really great for the first few months after J was born, but I think that's because he has so much love and attention from us and the grandparents to make it "smooth." It was only after real life settled in and he realized that she was a permanent fixture that he started acting out. tuh, his life was so spoiled before his sister came along. :)

vivian said...

yyyeahh... i don't know.. i miss you guys..

Post a Comment